Saturday, September 24, 2005

I'm sure all my many blogging fans have been missing my posts as it has been quite awhile now. I'm sitting at the SFO airport waiting for a flight home to Philadelphia. Not exactly looking forward to the flight, but really happy to get home. It's been a long trip and very very busy.

I was in Berkeley for work. However part of the work was a two-day staff retreat in Bodega Bay which was certainly more of a break than not. Plus, no birds pecked at my eyeballs and I did get to see some pelicans (this is not my picture), so that part of the trip was great!

Actually I realize that I did get another break last weekend when I went to Placerville to meet a writing project teacher with some colleagues, and then stop by to visit my Mom's brother in the San Ramon area. ... San Ramon is on the east bay, near Mount Diablo. Placerville is on the east side of Sacramento and in the foothills of the Sierras, it is a beautiful little town of about 10,000 people. It was a work visit, but a nice visit too, with stops at a winery and an orchard in the hills.

Quick Quiz: What are there 5 of in Placerville that might strike one as surprising?

On another note, one disturbing conversation I was in this past week was with a man from Baton Rouge who was in California for work. He started talking about New Orleans and how really things might be better there now because they can build expensive housing on the waterfront and make the downtown like Orlando. He said "the schools were crappy anyway." He was serious.

Also, this morning, there was apparently a small quake in the east bay. I wasn't conscious of it, but I do remember waking up around that time (my clock said 4:29) and noting that I have another 30 minutes to sleep before I had to get up for my shuttle, so I went back to sleep. I suppose the small shock of the quake did actually wake me up though now that I hear about it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Well, I know the answer to your quiz but it would be unfair of me to answer since I was there last weekend!

Glad to hear you are on your way home!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous John said...

Since you stopped at a winery, my guess is wineries.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Nope, not wineries. Good guess though John. Try again.

And yes, Karen, that wouldn't be so far since you were there, would it! ... Nice to be home. Hope you are well.

:)

Chris

11:13 AM  
Anonymous John said...

There are five jewelers, also 5 hair salons/barbers (and 3 taverns and 6 massage places).

1:24 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

This might help with the quiz, although she apparently missed three. Maybe she showed up after those were established.

http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/Sacramento.htm

9:09 PM  
Anonymous John said...

I see the starbuckseverywhere has three sites. According to the Starbucks' website she missed two more on Missouri Flat Road.

That is a lot of Starbucks, but I guess it gets a lot of tourists.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home